2019-2020 San Diego League Play Information
Here is how the San Diego league play works:
- Each team will be placed in one of five leagues: Gauss, Descartes, Euclid, Turing or Ptolemy.
- Teams must provide a minimum of ONE (2 preferred!) volunteer at each event they participate in, unless this causes an undue hardship.
- All teams will compete once in each of the 4 weekends during Dec-Feb (see the schedule under the league tab).
- There will be 3 weeks of league play called “League Meets” followed by a “League Championship.”
- Each league will have its own League Championship.
- In week 1, teams will compete only with other members of their own league, but for weeks 2 & 3 teams will competing against teams from all leagues, in an inter-league format.
- During weeks 1-3, teams will only compete with your robot. There will be no judging during weeks 1-3, although you should plan on setting up your pit (for a 6’ foot table only please) like you would at a League Championship. These league meets will take about 4-5 hours.
- The top 10 scores for each team from weeks 1-3 will be carried forward as the team's "starting" points for their respective League Championship. Your team will earn further RP and TieBreaker Points at the League Championship, and your team's ranking at the end of the League Championship qualifying rounds will be the total of the RP and TieBreaker Points that you started the day with plus the RP and TieBreaker Points that you earn in the qualifying rounds of the League Championship.
- Each league will have its own League Championship. This will be a full day event including robot competition, judging, and awards.
- 7 teams will advance to the San Diego Regional Championship from each League Championship. Advancement is based on the criteria laid out in part 1 of the game manual.
- 3 teams will advance to the World Championship from the San Diego Regional Championship.
- Tournament hosts will be sending you details specific to the tournaments when available - if you have not heard from your Tournament host within 2 weeks of any tournament date, please send an email email@example.com.
The information below is archived for reference
League Play Registration requirements! In order to compete in the San Diego region League Tournaments, the following 2 Steps must be taken before October 19th!!!
- DUE NOW: Each Team must have completed the FIRST registration process and their 2019-2020 status with FIRST must show as "completed and paid." Please see your team's dashboard at www.firstinspires.org if you have any questions and contact FIRST directly to resolve any discrepancies at (800) 871-8326.
- Opening by Oct. 7th and due by Oct. 19th: Each Team must have paid their San Diego League 2019-2020 participation fee of $250 (fees waived for Fast Start Teams). Emails requesting payment for the this fee will be, or have been sent out, on October 7th to the primary registered mentor as the team is registered with FIRST on www.firstinspires.org. Links for these team fees and registration process will be posted here when available and also sent out via email to the lead mentor for each team.
- Oct. 21: Teams who have completed steps 1 & 2* will be sent a personal registration link to select their tournaments from the schedule (To be published soon) on or after October 21st.
- Tournament dates will be filled on a first come/first served basis and teams will only be provided options to register for tournament dates that are still open.
- Each league and/or tournament date will be limited to spots to ensure tournaments are not overloaded.
- Once selections are made, they will not be changeable.
- Teams that have not selected their tournaments by Nov. 4th will be placed into tournament dates at the discretion of the Affiliate Partner and these dates will not be changeable